I am a 26 yr old male started thinning about 11 months ago sometime in december last year. My hair was really thick before so obviously I didnt realise I was thinning when it kicked in during the early stages.
1. I notice about 18 -25 hair every morning on my pillow. Most of these hair are very fine and shorter than usual. Some of them have a white bulb at the end.
2. Even at work I notice about 4-5 hair falling on my desk/ keyboard everyday even when I gently rub my fingers on my scalp.
3. During a shower when I apply shampoo on my hair I get about 10 – 12 hair sticking on my hands/fingers even though I shampoo very gently. I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner ( Clairol Herbal Essences/ Nizoral; was using Garnier Fructis earlier) about 5 times a week usually after a workout.
4. My Hair is thinning all over my scalp. Even on the back although since there is a higher density of hair so No scalp is visible.
5. Some of the common symptoms I have experienced in the past 8-9 months are itching, flaking/daindruff, A kind of burning sensation as if there is some heat generated from my body which is burning the hair roots on my scalp, and obvoiusly my hair is a lot thinner than a year back.
6. I do not see any receding of my hairline( thank god for that)but the area right behind my hairline/top has some noticeable bald spots where it seems like the hair thinned a lot and i have lost some hair.
7. Been on propecia for almost a month and do experience some pain in my balls of late (after ejaculation) however I dont think its reduced my sex drive or erections but I am determined to ride it out.
8. Overall When I examine my scalp minutely,I notice my hair still grows fast however the quality of hair is much more thinner than a year ago annd as a result a lot of scalp is noticeable. I probably have some hairloss too.
8. The worst part is I am not able to comb my hair like before and if I make it puff from the top/front My scalp is very visible from the front. I really woe the fact that I should have taken corrective measures early (when visible hair loss/thinning started about 10 months back but like most people I was in a denial mode and just would not digest the fact that I was loosing/thinning for good.
I have spent many sleepless nights on this issue in the past month and literally think bout it every 30 minutes.
I am a vegetarian and take about 100 grams of whey protein (courtesy GNC) per day for supplementation. I would say My professional life isnt that stressfull at all. The pics in the album were taken with a Kodak 4.0 MP digital camera under bright light.
1. I am applying Minoxidil twice a day but I am thinking bout changing it to once a day at night. I apply it mostly at the top and some on the vertex. Also its too flakey and makes it look like I have daindruff on my hair. Do you think this is a good move and is once a day 5% effective ?
2. From my pictures can you tell me whats my norwood scale ? I am thinning considerably from the top. The hair on the top of my scalp are very thin compared to last year. As a result They tend to clump together when I make them wet or when I apply hair gel. Sometimes in the morning when I gently rub a wet hand on to my scalp I get about 6-8 hair sticking into my hand. Will Propecia or Minoxidil make them thicker again ?
4. From the pictures how bad is my vertex ?
5. Realistically what are the chances I will retain my “Hair Glory” I had in Sept 2004 ? Or is it all downhill from now ?
6. Is there any way i can get the thickness measures with a densitometer in the North California area ?
Photo Album at [link removed for privacy]
Most of the pics in the first album were taken immediately out of the shower. these days I just stand under the shower and let the water wash the shampoo itself with out rinsing it off after applying. No towel dryng too. Notice how the thin hair clumps together from the force of the shower and my scalp is exposed. Or Am I balding on those areas ? looking at my current situation do you think I should continue using minoxidil 5% I started it 2 weeks back in panic I use it twice a day for now. Should I cut it back to once a day or totally eliminate it ?
I would appreciate your assessment of my situatiocn.
Your photographs are consistent with genetic hair loss, but there is no substitute for a good examination as I have said many times in this blog. You should not be your own doctor. The miniaturization mapped on your head will allow the doctor to determine the pattern of the hair loss. The Propecia you are taking will probably stop much of what you are seeing, but you do need to have the examination for miniaturization, or you will not ever truly know if you are actually benefiting from the drug, or if the problem was just temporary and drugs were not necessary. You discussed your hair glory, wanting to go back. I can not (nor can anyone else) predict your response to Propecia, although I have seen some men return to their ‘hair glory’. Responses depend upon the time you have been losing hair, the genetics of each patient and the timing with regard to starting the Propecia with regard to when you actually started losing your hair. The quicker a young man starts Propecia, the greater the overall effect I generally see. As to your question about using Minoxidil while also using Propecia, I’ve talked about this a few times before: here, here, and here. I am in Southern and Northern California, and would be happy to perform such an examination on your free of charge. I can not make a doctor recommendation in the North Carolina area, but you could take a look at the physician search on ISHRS.org. Be sure to do your research before chosing a doctor.