https://newhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/nhi-medical-356px.png 0 0 William Rassman, M.D. https://newhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/nhi-medical-356px.png William Rassman, M.D.2009-03-23 13:33:362009-03-19 13:26:39How Long Should I Wait Between Hair Transplants?
Hi Dr. Rassman,
I recently had a hair transplant in February and have a few questions:
- How long do you recommened waiting before having another procedure? I’m thinking a year (to see results), but would any sooner hurt the transplanted hair?
- If you have additional procedures, can the newly transplanted hair be affected by shock loss?
- How often do your patients stop using Finasteride after having hair transplants?
- I generally recommend waiting between 8-12 months between hair transplants as 80% of the hair will be at styling length by the 8th month.
- Shock loss is rare in a second hair transplant within 2 years of the first.
- I generally think of Propecia/finasteride as a lifetime decision, because stopping it would allow the progressive nature of hair loss to show and evolve. So I don’t recommend stopping Propecia once it is started. I don’t have statistics on how many patients stop using the medication after a transplant, though.