1 – Is it possible that taking finasteride for a certain period of time can alter the proper functioning of the endocrine system of a person?
2 – I’m kind of lost regarding side-effects and the possibility of them continuing after the stoppage of finasteride because from what I understand, the drug only stay in the bloodstream for a somewhat short period of time. How is it possible that the effects last if the drug is discontinued… It’s like saying that if you get drunk one night, you would be drunk for the rest of your life… it’s impossible.
1.) There isn’t science that shows finateride permanently alters your endocrine system, as far as I’ve seen. There is anecdotal evidence and claims by lawyers, that may point to this but this is not scientifically based.
2.) The sexual side effect of Propecia occurs in about 2 % of the men who take it. Chances are, you’re probably the in the 98% who never gets a sexual side effect. If you do get the side effect, it will not last if you stop taking the drug, but in some people who stay on it, the sexual side effect lessens or disappaears. The medication is out of your bloodstream in less than 24 hours. That is why you take it every 24 hours (to keep it in the bloodstream). The drug binds to the tissues for up to a week and that is why it is effective after it leaves your bloodstream.
I realize there are Internet posts that report persistent side effects after stopping the drug, but I find this hard to understand/believe myself. In my years of practice, what I’ve seen in real life (face to face) patients is that they do have sexual side effects match the 2% statistics. In the actual patients that I see, the side effects are temporary and they go back to normal after discontinuing the medication.
I do recall meeting one patient who came in for a consultation asking me for advice, because he claimed he has the permanent sexual side effect, so I will keep my mind open, but I still find this hard to understand and this particular patient was not started on the medications by me.