Dear Dr. Rassman,
I am looking to start using Rogaine (beginning with 2% and then moving up to 5% if I don’t experience side effects), however I am a bit confused with usage/dosage and side effects.
1) Everywhere that I’ve read says that the first 4-6 weeks can have accelerated temporary hair loss. Does this mean that the hair that is lost in this stage will grow back normally even if I were to stop using Rogaine?
2) I have been told to use the 5% solution only once a day. Can I do the same with the 2%?
and finally, 3) what is the best way to apply the solution? I have been given a dropper and a pump spray.
1. Usually “temporary” hair loss means hair loss will return (in the case of hair loss from minoxidil, the loss is usually over a 2-3 month period). I’ve written about this shedding before here.
2. If you were told to use 5% once a day, why don’t you ask the person who told you if that is OK for 2%? I am not your physician and I do not know what your overall treatment plans are so I really cannot give you the right advice for your needs. The general instruction is to apply Rogaine (minoxidil) twice a day, and that is usually what I recommend. If you’ve got other treatment advice, follow-up with that doctor.
3. If you were given a dropper and a pump spray what is the confusion? Are you requiring instructions on how to use the pump spray? Whatever the confusion, the best way to use it is to follow the instruction and apply the solution to your scalp (not hair) as best as you can.