For the past several months, I had noticed my scalp progressively showing through just behind the crown of my head. During this time, I had not noticed excessive hairs falling out, in my hairbrush or in the shower. I’ve been doing my hair in a ponytail for the last 2-4 years. I first went to see my GP a few weeks ago, she did my bloodwork and referred me to a dermatologist. At the time of the appointment, the dermatologist had not yet received the bloodwork results. He spent a few minutes with me and prescribed the following:
- Rogaine 5% for men daily at night
- DHS Free and Clear shampoo daily for 6 days per week
- Salex shampoo 1 day a week
- Betamethasone valerate cream after shampooing.
- Appearex Biotin 2.5mg daily
- Vicogen 1 daily (a multivitamin)
A few days later, I received my bloodwork results which are all in the normal range. I am a 44 year old female. I am not sure if I should start this treatment plan or not. My GP had mentioned that the dermatologist may do a biopsy of the hairs, but he did not talk about that and when I mentioned it, he said it was not necessary.
Please advise, thank you so much!
It looks like he’s just throwing everything at you and hoping something will work. Ask him directly and try to find out:
- What his diagnosis is
- What his expectations are for your use of these medications
I do not know what your dermatologist’s line of thinking was.