I have been getting my thick hair dyed for 20 years. I usually go every month. I have been using an Aveda salon where they use products with high ammonia content. I have been noticing the last few months that my hair is no longer thick.
I feel I did not realize this because I have a different style that is has very choppy layers and just naturally makes it look thinner. So, the last 3 times she put a toner on the highlights (bleach over bleach process) my scalped burned and felt numb. The times before this happened also, and I told her about it. I did not see any redness to my scalp. It just felt numb for more than a week and then it itched. I have seen my hair on my pillow and in the filter after a shower. It is noticeably thinner now and I am very distressed and worried that this is a PERMANENT loss, with having sustained death to the hair follicles.
Please help!!! My sister lives in LA and I could come to see you. What do you recommend?
The use of hair dyes have risks and can impact hair permanently, which is why you must go to a reputable hair stylist to hopefully avoid the types of damage that these chemicals can induce. You are welcome to visit us for an opinion.
In general, it may take a full year before you can tell if the damage was permanent.