I have been taking avodart for about 4 years, previously on propecia for 6 years. I believe avodart has worked great but for a long time have always felt that their have been sexual side effects from both meds. I am switching back to propecia to see if they resolve and actually only taking half a pill instead of a full one. My question is:
- in the long run, does propecia prove about roughly as beneficial for maintaining hair loss as avodart, (or should I expect a large/small shedding of hair from the switch)?
- will propecia be less likely to have sexual side effects compared to avodart?
- should I expect the side effects to resolve/ or permanent and how long (2 weeks, month, ect) till I would notice?
1. I don’t know. Your guess is as good as mine.
2. Yes, and a half a pill will be better than a full pill to lessen side effect risk… but no guarantee.
3. Avodart (dutasteride) has a 5 week half-life, so it might take months (in the order of 20-25 weeks) for the side effects to reverse. It may occur earlier. Propecia (finasteride) has a 6 hour half-life, so this drug’s side effects are less long lasting as a rule.